The agency model is one of my favorites for a few reasons:
1) It’s a great way to grow – By hiring other people to ‘do the work’ you naturally expand your capacity to serve more clients (and make more money).
2) It’s a great way to leverage your expertise – The agency model allows you to focus on what you do best, so that you get known as an expert in your field.
3) It’s a great way to free up your time – When you build a solid team around you it frees you up to do more of what you love (and less of what you don’t)
Yes, the agency model is great BUT there is an important pre-requisite before you go this path.
Create success FIRST as a 1-1 service provider
I see too many people wanting to skip this step. They are just getting started in their business and they want to jump straight into creating an agency.
I get it – the agency model is great! But when you jump too quickly into it you miss a few things that working 1-1 brings you:
- Clarity – working 1-1 allows you to become clear on exactly what you do – and don’t! – want to do for your clients
- Confidence – when you serve your clients directly you get to see first hand the results that you help create, and can really own your value in the marketplace
- Clients – when you can fill your business with 1-1 clients, you have proven your ability to make the sale (likewise, if you can’t fill your business 1-1 then you are likely to struggle more as you work to fill your agency)
Do great work as a 1-1 service provider, fill your business with amazing clients and then you will have a strong foundation of success to build an agency on.