“Tina, when does it get easier?”
“I never thought it would be this hard – when do I get to the good part?”
I daresay it’s true that for most of us – this business journey is often harder than we expected it to be! But that doesn’t mean it has to stay that way…
Here are 5 ways you can make the ‘hard’ feel a bit easier.
- Accept That It’s Supposed To Be Hard – this might sound funny to say, but it’s quite often our RESISTANCE to the fact that it’s hard which makes it harder. When you are on a journey of creating what matters you will be challenged – you will be stretched. You will have do things that you don’t want to do – that you wish you could skip over. Like learning to sell, setting up the right business structure or having to deal with a challenging team member. This is simply part of the gig – success is meant to be hard at times, but that doesn’t mean it has to be HARD. <– that is a choice.
- Learn How To Say NO – some of the hardest times in my business journey have been when I said yes to something for the wrong reasons. When I said yes to a client or new project because they wanted me to do it for them and I didn’t want to let them down. When I committed myself to something in an already jam packed schedule and overextended myself. I said yes, regretted it and had to drag myself through it. Anytime we say yes when we really want to say no we are making things harder.
- Ask For Help – speaking as a recovering control freak believe me I get it. The pull to DIY and take care of things myself is strong… it’s how I’m wired! Just because you can do it – and I know that you can – doesn’t mean you have to. I guarantee that there is something on your plate right now that you don’t have to be doing. Something that is hard simply because you don’t want to do it anymore or you don’t know how to do it but think you should. Let these things go so that you can do more of the stuff you enjoy.
- Quit Wearing Busy As A Badge Of Honor – ask anyone how they are doing these days and you will generally hear them say “I’m so busy!” Busy is easily mistaken as a sign of success when quite often it’s simply a façade. A place to hide out when we are feeling afraid, uncertain or in abject terror around our business. The most successful people I know are NOT the busiest people I know. “How often do we try to solve problems by doing more of what’s not working – doing it harder, grinding it out longer. We’ll do anything to avoid the lowest of the low – self examination” ~ Brene Brown, Rising Strong
- Stop Working Weekends – I don’t care how much you love your work, if you never allow yourself to unplug from your business it will start to suck the life out of you. We all need time to rest & recharge, not only physically but mentally as well. Time for our brains to stop thinking about this project, that client, that idea, etc. Giving yourself at least one day a week – ideally two – can have a huge impact on the amount of energy and enthusiasm you are able to bring to your work. If you need some tips on how to make this happen, click here to check out how I set my schedule.
So let me ask you, what can you do this week to make things easier?