I’ve been having a lot of conversations and doing a lot of thinking/reading on the topic of leadership lately – and I have to admit it has been rather eye-opening.
First and foremost is the question:
Are you a boss or a leader?
As shared in the book Developing the Leader Within You by John C. Maxwell, there are 7 key differences between the two:
- The boss drives his workers; the leader coaches them.
- The boss depends on authority; the leader on goodwill.
- The boss inspires fear; the leader inspires enthusiasm.
- The boss says “I”, the leader says “we”.
- The boss fixes the blame for the breakdown; the leader fixes the breakdown.
- The boss knows how it is done; the leader shows how.
- The boss says “Go”; the leader says, “Let’s go!”
What do these distinctions mean to you? What are some other distinctions?
Would love to hear your thoughts/comments… this is fascinating stuff.