Hate to burst your bubble, but having your own business is hard… VERY hard at times.
I’m not sure what I expected when I got into business, but at times I wonder if I made the right choice! 😉
Actually for me I wouldn’t have it any other way as the benefits by far outweigh the challenges (I need my freedom)… but at the same time I think we need to be really clear with people that being in business can be hard work. It’s not just a walk in the park, and if you are expecting to simply “make money doing what you love” you may be in for a bit of a rude awakenining when the rubber hits the road.
You see, being in business is the ultimate self-growth journey… we are challenged in ways that we never expected, it brings to light all of the stuff we don’t want to face and requires us to step up and grow up (alot like raising kids, but that is another post.)
What have been my toughest moments this year? Let’s see…
- Letting go of my “safety net” of OBM clients – I officially stopped working as an Online Business Manager for my last 2 clients in the end of 2009. That meant that I no longer had that reliable monthly income, I was 100% responsible for making my own money now through my training programs, eek!
- Having to cancel my live training event earlier this year due to potential issues with being a Canadian doing biz in the US – that was a costly lesson to learn (5-figure costly) not to mention giving me a bunch of sleepless nights.
- Realizing that how I do things is up to me – there isn’t anyone out there who is going to tell me what I should do and make those decision for me (which means I have no one to blame but myself…gulp!)
- Spending alot more money in support of my growing biz – between hiring my team (who i adore!), travelling to events, getting legal docs in place, etc. I have spent alot more on my biz this year than in the previous 5 years combined… and it is scary at times.
- Working months on launching the THRIVE Hiring System and realizing after the fact that we missed some key marketing components (and as a result didn’t hit the numbers we wanted from the launch, big time bummer!)
As they saying goes – what doesn’t kill us only makes us stronger right? Even though it sucks at time I know that is true… the more we experience in business the more we build our “getting through the tough times” muscle. Overall this year has had many more highlights than lowlights – it’s been my best year yet from a financial and fulfillment perspective and has set the stage for some REALLY cool stuff in 2011 and beyond. It’s all good.
What has been your toughest challenge this year?